Welcome to the 2015 SAE Baja Oregon Competition! The competition will take place Wednesday through Saturday, May 27-30th. I’m happy to report that the competition sold out in less than 10 minutes with 100 teams and was the second fastest to sell out of all 11 SAE student competitions. Teams are traveling from the USA, Mexico, Canada, South Korea, Venezuela, UAE, and India. This will be the largest SAE Oregon we have hosted and it certainly will be one of the most competitive.
I would like to start with a special thanks to the SAE Oregon Chapter for hosting the event. This is now our 5th time hosting this event, following competitions in 2004, 2006, 2009, and 2012. Many of us on the Baja SAE Oregon committee have been involved in all five SAE Oregon events, plus several other SAE events as competitors or volunteers. We are all volunteers and we have been working very hard to make this the best competition yet.
Some things are distinctly different for this year:
- We are switching to a 4 day competition format. Day 1 will be located at the Holiday Inn Portland Airport. Days 2, 3, and 4 will take place at Washougal Motocross Course.
- Sales Presentations and Registration have been shifted to Day 1. Briggs Engine Check will also be available on Day 1 for teams that have their car ready, limited to 40 teams.
- Tech Inspection and Design Judging are now the only competition events on Day 2. Dynamic events will be Day 3, and Endurance will be Day 4.
- Competition has been changed to much later in the year. The SAE Oregon competition is now 3rd on the calendar of the Baja SAE events.
- Washougal has changed their track maintenance system. Instead of a “soak and scrape” system, they have switched to a “compact and drain” system to make the track competition ready earlier in the season. We plan on using the track for a portion of the endurance course.
- The banquet will directly follow the endurance event at Washougal.
- We will have live scoring posted at Washougal via Wi-Fi.
- We have arranged a special room rate of $89.00 a night for competitors at Holiday Inn Portland Airport.
Some things will stay the same:
- The four dynamic events will be Rock Crawl, Acceleration, Maneuverability, and Hill Climb.
- We have selected a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday format. This allows volunteers and committee members to clean up on Sunday so we can all return to our day jobs on Monday. It also allows more teams to attend. If you are shipping your car and/or flying in, you will need to arrange your own transportation for you and your car. More details for engine shipment and drayage are available in this competitor packet.
Please bookmark and check our website http://bajasaeoregon.org/ frequently for updates. Good luck completing your entries, and on behalf of the Baja SAE Oregon Committee, we look forward to another exciting event!
Steven D. Hyde, P.E.
Baja SAE Oregon 2015